Trevor philpott new member having just purchased a 1954 traction

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions Trevor philpott new member having just purchased a 1954 traction

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Philpott
    Participant

Having just purchased a 1954 Traction avant,what would the requirements be to change the current 6 volt system to a 12 volt system. would there be any be any type of kit available. thanks

Bernie
      Participant

Ken,

A 12V unit requires only half the current of a 6 Volt item with the same wattage. Therefore, as long as the wiring is all in good condition, there is no need to make any changes to the basic wiring.

The battery, dynamo and regulator will need to be changed. Some people chose to take the opportunity to convert to an alternator at this stage.

It is probably worth checking the brushes and commutator first, but a 6V starter motor will perform very well on 12V ……. as long as it is only ever engaged briefly and not left to churn over for long periods. When/if it does need replacing a 12V unit (or rewinding the old one to 12V) is not usually cheap.

All light bulbs will need to be changed.

If the indicators are operated via a mechanical (clockwork) flasher unit, they will function perfectly on 12V. However, if the flasher unit is electronic, that will need to be replaced (don’t forget the dash lamps and indicator warning lamp).

The wiper motor will definitely not like 12V for long but 12V replacements are not common. One solution is to fit a rheostat in the wiper circuit to drop the Volts to 6 at the motor. I have heard good reports of the following item which can be bought on-line ……..

Rheostat

…….. but be aware, a rheostat will generate heat which needs to be dissipated. It is therefore essential that it is not located close to any combustible material and, if possible, it should have some ventilation.

The fuel gauge and ammeter are not Voltage dependent and will work equally well on 6 or 12V.

However, having now gone through the above, I must ask why you want to change?
        I have been driving 6V Tractions for over 50 years and have found that, as long as you have a suitable capacity battery in good condition and all the wiring – especially the earths – is all fine, 6V is every bit as reliable as 12V system. 6V halogen bulbs are also available but, in my experience, dim headlights are most often the result of poor reflectors or bad earthing.

And finally – Satnavs, phone chargers and other similar devices work on 4.5 Volts. But be aware, some lighter socket adapter plugs do require 12V to operate and those will not work.  However, with a suitable plug and socket, all the usual in-car devices will work perfectly on a 6V system.

B…………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.