Steering Column Bushing

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Suspension & steering Steering Column Bushing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Selfridge
    Participant

I have discovered the steering column on my Traction  seems to be floating, especially when braking and a sponge type rubber falling onto the carpet. Is there a rubber bush internally to the steering column and how to I fit.

Davy

Bernie
      Participant

Davy,

Plate 17 in the spares book shows three rubber bushes in the column assembly.

600368 –  22.1 x 36.7 x 28.6 long

601854 – 37 x 47 x 40 long

602169 – 26(?) x 43 x 32 long

Access for any is almost certainly going to entail dismantling the column to a lesser or greater extent.

B………….

Peter Fereday
        Participant

Davy

My French car has another rubber bush at the top of the steering column where it mounts on the dash – part number 602133. If yours has this and it is shot it could cause the column to move about .  But yours is an old Slough car right??

Peter

Larry Lewis
          Participant

The bushing between the column and the tube it rides in, right? I just changed that bushing in my 11B this week. Franssen has them. It’s a pain, the outer rubber part had to be shaved with a razor blade to make it fit.

David Selfridge
            Participant

Peter, My Traction is a Slough 1938 Light 12

Thanks to all for answering my post.  If my memory serves me right, some time ago someone posted about this problem and they used heater hose to replace steering column  bushes, at the time it did not affect me so did not take much notice.

Davy

Chris
              Participant

It’s true – don’t know who posted it, and there’s no detail – but for what it’s worth here it is:

https://traction-owners.co.uk/forums/topic/steering-wheel-removal-2/

Chris

David Selfridge
                Participant

Hi Chris

Thanks for searching and finding the post, much appreciated.

Davy

David Selfridge
                  Participant

Thanks to Bernie and all others for your help, I ordered all required from Chris @ TOC Spares and received just today.

I will post when all is fitted and any difficulties experienced.

Thanks All

Davy

David Selfridge
                    Participant

I have received the total number of bushes required for my Tractions steering column repairs from Chris @ TOC Spares. I will not able to fit at present as I have a two journeys planned over the next few weeks would it do any damage if this work was delayed to after these journeys. (Not long trips)

Davy

Bernie
                      Participant

How long is a piece of string …..?

A little movement at the wheel (top) end of the column is likely to have minimal effect at the bottom but a lot of movement might put undue strain on the rack.

If all the loose rubber bits have now fallen out I would guess it is unlikely to get worse – but sod’s law will always prevail so assume it will.

The answer has to be – it depends how bad it already is and how far you are going.  Only you can tell.

B………………..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.