Slough wiper system overhaul

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Other Slough wiper system overhaul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Norman Anderson
    Participant

I know Roger Grix started a thread on something similar, but are there any good articles on overhauling the complete system?

It looks like some sort of cable driven by the motor that somehow connects to a spline for the wipers? Mine look to be completely shot as the wipers flap about at will! Also, and electrical contact here (circled), what’s that all about?! Thanks.

802XUD_Lo_Res64

Richard Larter
      Participant

Its a simple system. The wiper motor which is fitted to a wide range of British cars pushes a rack backwards and forwards which turns the wiper spindles, the rack is readily available and wiper motor brushes and commutators have recently been remanufactured. The spindles with their manual override are unique to Citroen. You have circled the switch which is a crude points system, mine was all ways hit and miss so I bypassed it and used the dashboard light switch, problem solved. The wiper motor is easily accessed under the bonnet while the rack and spindles are accessed by removing the top dashboard trim. I have been told the French wiper system is buried behind the dashboard and is not at all easy to overhaul.

Cheers Richard

Norman Anderson
        Participant

Thanks Richard, managed to get the assembly out and cleaned up without too much difficulty.

You’re correct. The switch assembly is a crude affair and best bypassed.

Only thing I can’t locate are the rubber grommets for the wheel box spindles. There’s a grommet on the inside of the body on the spindle, and a grommet on the outside, again on the spindle. Scoured the internet. Can’t get a part number, let alone the part!

Any ideas Traction experts? Thanks!

Norman Anderson
          Participant

These are the elusive rubbers!

802XUD_Lo_Res65

David Faulkner
            Participant

F33B Grommet (Lucas 733874) and F51 Mounting Kit from Club spares could be what your after looking at the Lucas Spare Parts guides in the Technical Library https://traction-owners.co.uk/technical-library/

Norman Anderson
              Participant

Perfect, exactly what I’m after! Thank you David, I’ve emailed Chris now.

David Selfridge
                Participant

Hi Norman

I had this problem with a French car which I had for resale. I could not source the rubber grommets anywhere, after a couple of sleepless nights and a few trips to motorcycle parts shops searching, I was about to give up, then finally  after rumbling around in my garage I discovered the bulbous end of a tubeless valves, cut from their stems were the perfect size and fit.

Your are very lucky your working on a Slough car, as the French Cars  Wiper Motor can only be worked at, by laying on your back & fiddling with the tips of your fingers. End result, writers cramp and sore back for days after.

Hope this helps, Davy

Norman Anderson
                  Participant

Thanks for the tip Davy. I may resort to it. Chris was out of stock, and his supplier has retired. I did find something on the internet that looks like it may fit. We’ll see.

Now to working out what lives where on the dash. Dare I say it, may have to start a new thread…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.