Slough dash board circa 1950

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior Slough dash board circa 1950

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jack Peppiatt
    Participant

I wonder if a kind soul could help me with a couple of queries please. I have not been able to find a detailed photo of the period, with square instruments, ignition switch with light switch around it on the right and the Morris horn/indicator/dip switch on the column.

I note from the wiring diagram that there may have been a dash panel light switch at this period. If so could you photograph the switch and position please. Does anyone have one and willing to sell it?

I believe there would have been an ignition advance and retard lever in the centre of the dash, again could you please post a photo and does anyone have one they might like some beer tokens for?

If you are able to help, thank you

Jack

Richard Larter
      Participant

Hi Jack

I have a 1949 Light 15 which should be pretty similar to you car and the dashboard light switch in located in the bottom right hand corner of the dash. I use my switch for the wipers as the wiper switch is not reliable. I do not have a manual advance/retard mechanism and there is no hole in the dashboard to fit one and as the car is pretty original it may never have been fitted, but it is 70 years old so who knows.

Cheers

Richard

Jonathan
        Participant

Hi Jack

I also have a ’49 with the layout you describe. The panel lights are controlled by 1 of 3 switches in a row either side of the starter button on the bottom RHS. How original that layout is I don’t know and I can’t check the photos in the period road tests I have as they are away in storage.

Yes, there was an advance/retard centrally located beneath the oil pressure switch. Mine, along with many others now has a temp gauge located in that space so cannot provide a photo.

Cheers

Jonathan

Alistair
          Participant

Jack,

Slightly later, but indicates the layout of the dash (1952).

Alistair

Dash

Richard Larter
            Participant

DSCN1605DSCN1606Hi Jack

Hopefully these pictures will download. The dashboard light switch is to the right of the starter button. I have an aftermarket ignition light below the oil pressure light but no sign of a manual advance /retard, which I not missed. Have you found the interior light switch yet, it took me a while and only when it was switched on by accident!

Regards

Richard

Jack Peppiatt
              Participant

Thank you all for your replies and the photos and manual illustration.

The later car looks as if it has a toggle switch with an on and off decal plate behind the threaded retaining ring, whereas yours Richard seems to be a pull on or possibly twist for on/off. It is in the position where on my dash a chrome mirror screw has been substituted.

My dash is I think Richard exactly as your photos show. Where your ashtray is, mine has three small screw holes in a triangular pattern and another chrome headed mirror screw behind which there seems to be a cut out in the metal dash support panel. It had been suggested that an ignition advance and retard lever had been fitted there, although I cannot find a corresponding hole in the bulkhead through which the operating cable might have lead to the distributer. Mine has a vac advance dizzy fitted, which may be non-original, but if not there would have been no call for a manual control as well.

The interior light on mine has a sliding switch on the light fitting, where is yours Richard?

I do not feel I yet have a definitive answer to the dash fittings question and the type of switch, so would still be interested in hearing from any other source please

Regards Jack

Richard Larter
                Participant

Hi Jack

My dash light switch is of the push/pull type, a typical small Lucas switch of the era. My interior light switch is on the B post at about knee height.

Regards

Richard

Jonathan
                  Participant

As many variations as there are cars!

Over the years I think I have only seen one car that exactly corresponded to mine (Jan ’49 manufacture and March registration)

The central ashtray I see in road test reports of a ’48. My switches are toggle (absolutely no idea if that is original) and my interior light switch is likewise on the B post at waist height. My interior light itself is over the rear window but I have seen them in various positions.

It has often been said to me that in the post war years and the need to get cars out that anything that could be found in the parts bin would be used. This might explain various different arrangements, handles, switches, wheels, hub caps etc……..

Also, there is the meddling of owners over the last 70 odd years to consider?

Whatever you do Jack I’m sure you can call it as “originally fitted” and it’s really only the rivet and part number counters that will get upset!

Putting my head below the parapet

Goodnight!

J

Jack Peppiatt
                    Participant

Hello J,

Thank you for your thoughts. I understand your point of view and sentiment and whilst I do not subscribe to the rivet counter view of life, I like to find out what might have been, before innovating for my own needs, in order to keep within the spirit of the original arrangements.

I bought my car in October 2018 and it appealed to me in part because it was relatively unmolested. I am going to fit a wet heater and plan to use an advance retard mechanism to control the flow valve. I am sure you are right about the parts bin approach, since Citroen Slough were dependant upon suppliers, often of parts possibly designed for other manufacturers and certainly by suppliers who had bigger customers.

So my meddling will join that of the previous 9 owners, but I hope it will be ‘in keeping’. Thanks for your thoughts

Jack

Chris
                      Participant

I’m not sure it gives enough detail to answer these questions, but there was an article on dashboards in one of the very early issue of Floating Power – Vol 1, Issue 5. Worth a look. Like all the back issues it is available to view / download in the members’ area of the website.

Chris

Jack Peppiatt
                        Participant

Thanks Chris, I have had a look, sadly the illustration is of a later car and the dashboard had changed by then, but a good led thank you.

Jack

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.