Light 15 rear exhaust mounting brackets

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Other Light 15 rear exhaust mounting brackets

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Norman Anderson
    Participant

I’m posting this in ‘Other’ as I’m not sure if this should be in ‘Engine’ or ‘Bodywork’!

Fitting the exhaust system to my 1953 Slough Light 15. Exhaust runs straight back to a rear mount. Found the threads for this, so far, so good. Exhaust runs right to left via the silencer, then does a 90 degree bend for the final piece. Alas, I can find no threads and no clue as to where this last mounting would be (parts manual doesn’t help either).

Can anyone offer up some advice and/or pics? Will be most useful, as I’m stranded without it.

Thanks!

Norman

Patrick Russell-Jones
      Participant

Hi Norman

Here’s a photo. Fixing is on the first ridge in from the rear edge of the boot plate – this is on a small boot car.

Patrick20190510_115201_resized_1

Norman Anderson
        Participant

Thanks Patrick, much further aft than I was looking! I’ll have another look and see what’s there (or most likely, isn’t there)!

Thanks again, Norman

Norman Anderson
          Participant

Patrick and other Traction experts:

I’m still struggling with the exhaust fitment. I’ve only got two ‘hangars’ – one at the end of the long straight piece, just in front of the rear wheel arch, and one to support the tail pipe. It doesn’t seem enough. I can see two old straps in the cavity forward of the fuel tank. For the suspension maybe? The parts diagram only shows the two suspension points. Confusing!

Thanks, Norman

David Faulkner
            Participant

My car has a custom stainless system Norman built as per the original (but slightly bigger bore). The only hangars are on the tail pipe at the left side rear of the car and on the right side by the petrol tank/suspension arm as you describe where the silencer itself goes at right angles across the car.

The only other ‘support’ is the one from the engine block at the bell housing to the downpipe to protect the exhaust manifold. THere is an image on Citronet of the underside of a Traction which shows an exhaust mount around the drivers seat area on a 7c but that may not be on later 11 models?

It’s been on there 7 years now with no issues

Exhaust-hangars

David Faulkner
              Participant

Here is a better version of the 7c exhaust mounts Norman, it would appear that only had 2 like the later 11 but in a different location with no need for the gearbox end support as the downpipe came through the shell. Hopefully someone else can clarify for you.

1934-7c

Norman Anderson
                Participant

Thanks David, that’s completely clear now. I’ll press on. It’s just that I thought there’d be considerable torsional stress on the left hand side of the silencer (which is heavy and unsupported), but it obviously works fine as the design has stood the test of time!

Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

Patrick Russell-Jones
                  Participant

Hi Norman

There is another hanging bracket required about 8 inches forward of the drivers side jacking point.

Patrick

Norman Anderson
                    Participant

Thanks every body. After some cursing, it’s in and the engine now runs nice and quietly. Let’s hope the exhaust manifold lats a long while before it cracks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.