front brakes

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Brakes front brakes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My car is pulling to the near side(left) when braking.I suspect it would be something wrong on the front right?

I have never taken the drums off. Ive just watched a youtube video and see that i need a hub puller.Are these available to borrow from the club area sections? Also how easy is it to remove the drums.Its quite difficult finding a garage that would tackle the job,so its time to get to get stuck in!

Any suggestions are very welcome

Chris Rabson

Philippe Allison
      Participant

Hi Chris,

You are correct you will need a puller,  each section holds a set of tools and everything you need to safely remove the front brake drums. I would suggest you remove both drums as the problem could well be on the left side, brake fluid on the shoes can cause the brakes to snatch. When refitting the drums the tappers on the drive shafts and the drum tappers must be spotless and free from oil or grease. It is then vital that the nuts are tightened to the correct torque, you will need a large torque wrench. Plenty of information in the magazine on this subject. Don’t forget the the right hand side hub nut should be a left hand thread. I say should be as I have come across incorrect fitment of driveshafts in the past.

If you look in the magazine you will find your local section coordinator, if the tools are not out on loan you can collect them and do the job.

The very best of luck.

Philippe Allison

Philippe Allison
        Participant

Hi Chris again!

Just noticed in the For Sale section a torque wrench, this model is large enough and will torque up in both directions. Some makes will only torque up right hand threads!

Regards Philippe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.