Crankshaft nut

Traction Owner’s Club Forums 6 Cylinder General Crankshaft nut

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark Robinson
    Participant

Hi having trouble getting the castellated nut of the end of my crankshaft I’ve tried using a punch and it won’t budge and I’m just damaging it,

I’ve had a tool made but still can’t get it off. Any ideas?82C48047-9084-4798-B0A9-4445401123C6

Bernie
      Participant

Mark,

Those wretched nuts either work loose and cause problems or seize and cause different problems.

I suggest you drill the nut, starting with a small pilot midway between the id and od then open the hole up as much as possible without damaging the thread.  That will weaken the nut enough to be able to split it with a chisel and release the stickfulness.

When we rebuilt our engines, both Phil and I fitted specially modified hex nuts with thread locking products.  In addition, I made a lockplate from a modified flywheel lockplate.  It ain’t pretty but it is effective (and out of sight).

If you are interested I can post some pictures of both the nut and lockplate.

B….

Hans-Peter Dürr-Auster
        Participant

IMG_0367

Mark,
          I agree with Bernie, you have to destroy the nut. It might be welded on one point to the crankshaft, what I found with all my 15-6D engines. Then we prepared new nuts with standard measures for a big spanner and the security fixed as shown in picture. Don’t mind, in the photo it’s a 15-6G engine, but our procedure was identic to D-engines. This G-engine ist entirely rebuilt in CH, its brother beside. Mark Harding put the one in the picture into my 15-6G Berline 1939.
          Hans

Mark Robinson
          Participant

Thanks guys, Bernie will drill the nut tomorrow and take my tine not to damage the thread And yes please post your lock plate, is it like Hans?

i cant see any welding on it but i was warned of this happening i will another Aust club found he had to cut the flywheel off to remove it.

cheers

Mark

Mark Robinson
            Participant

This is the tool I made to try and get it off to no avail and also a pic of what another member here in Melb found “welded”

52232009-9670-4B64-859A-0B8E8819BBD2970DC725-E872-4A66-9567-AE0C6949DB31

Philippe Allison
              Participant

P1030414This was my solution, a new nut and thread lock and a wire.

Below is the hole cut in the bulkhead by the previous owner to access and tighten the nut that keeps coming loose. This also allowed the bulkhead to flex and rendered the handbrake useless.

Good luck Philippe

P1030385

Bernie
                Participant

Mark,

Nut and lockplate detail, as requested ……….

Modified nut :

2 - Modified nuts     Triax Nut Detail      Nut Supplier

And this is my solution for the locking plate (made from a flattened flywheel locking plate).  Note it locks the six damper fixings as well as the main nut :

3 - lock plateAssembly 1

N.B. – To ensure the slots align correctly with 3 of the flats on the nut, they can only be cut once the central nut is fully tightened.  To determine the correct slot positions, temporarily attach the plate by two or three of the six fixings then the edges of the nut can be located and marked by gently tapping the plate with a ball peen hammer.

B…………

Mark Robinson
                  Participant

Thanks everyone,

managed to get it off after more than an hour, using the careful drill and chisel method.

After doing it my nephew asked why didn’t i just weld a normal Hex nut on the back of try Castellated nut This is probably a good idea.

Mark F85B8437-22E3-4525-BBD5-3EA0814D34E0919EF2BD-EA7F-456A-AADD-6EDD7C4DFFF3

My bulkhead has also been cut and repaired.

Philippe Allison
                    Participant

There are some hooligans ou there!!!!

Bernie
                      Participant

Phil

I assume you are reffering to the earlier treatment of the original nut and not my unique modification to the locking plate.

B….

Mark Robinson
                        Participant

07A8271D-61D3-49AE-85F6-24BE4A84E540A nut Gould be tack welded to the back to remove a tight nut.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.