Change of engine

Traction Owner’s Club Forums 6 Cylinder General Change of engine

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone recently had dealings with the DVLA with regard to a change of engine number. I never advised them when I put an ID19 bottom end in my car back in 2005 but what with the recent rule changes on what is and isn’t allowed on upgrades to classic cars to avoid losing historic class status plus the requirement to advise your insurance company on any change to your vehicle it has become a necessity for me to put the record straight. My insurance company are fine with the upgrades that I’ve done but looking at the DVLA website you need to provide documentary evidence, ie letter from the garage to prove it’s the same type, etc.,  it becomes more of an issue for me to meet their requirements unless there’s an easier way.  Regards Andrew York.

Alistair
      Participant

I have an ID19 block on my Light 15 put in the car sometime in the ‘80’s. My log book shows 1911cc…

I would imagine the change of engine number would not make a big difference as it is not an upgrade to a V8 turbo charged. The HP would be below 2.0ltr.
        We may see it as an upgrade due to the shell bearings but performance-wise not so.

My penny worth

Alistair

Philippe Allison
        Participant

Hi Alistair,

I think you may have posted this in the wrong section, as here is for the 6 cylinder cars.

I don’t think an ID block is a significant modification, same cubic capacity same horse power, it’s really just the shells. I assume you still have a perfo head on it. I think if you have a cross flow ID head this would be seen as a modification.

Regards Philippe Allison

Alistair
          Participant

Hi Philippe,

Yes, it is in the wrong section as the original post was under 6 cylinders! I agree, there is no change in HP (very little) and the cc’s are very similar and contemporary to the period.

Alistair

Bernie
            Participant

….. What? Wrong section? ….

I am devastated because I was beginning to believe Andy had hit the jackpot and squeezed a 6-cylinder lump into his lovely Normale to facilitate towing that equally lovely period caravan.  I was so looking forward to the write-up in FP.

B………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.