B2 info

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Tony Buxton.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tony Buxton
    Participant

Hi All, for obvious reasons I’ve been tidying up my FP magazines and noticed that Ian Harvey fitted new kingpins to his 5HP car during its restoration. I have worn kingpins (pivots? Fusees?) on my B2 front axle and I never found replacement or oversize ones in the usual catalogues. I would appreciate any info if they are available.

Also, regarding the timing of the B2, should there be any marks on the cam or crankshaft cogs? The manual has the point mort settings so perhaps the cogs cannot be set until the block and valves are assembled. This engine was completely stripped when I got it. The aluminium clutch housing has a line marked with A,1/LL,4 but when bolted to the flywheel this mark doesn’t line up exactly with the journals for 1 and 4 pistons.

Cheers and  stay safe everyone,

Tony

Bernie
      Participant

Tony,

Back in the 90’s, when I rebuilt the front axle of the Yellow Peril, I was unable to source new kingpins.  However, a quick scrape of the old one with a lathe tool immediately confirmed the originals were relatively soft steel and they were not hardened.

Using the originals as patterns, I had a new set of pins turned from some tool steel plus new brass bushes to suit.  So far, these have stood the test of time.

There were certainly marks on the timing gears of the 5HP to enable correct engagement.  I shall see if I can find any suitable pictures in my archive.

I think the marking on the clutch housing is probably “All” (for allumage) plus a straight line or a dot which should align with some sort of mark on the flywheel at the point of ignition – just before TDC – on cylinders 1 and 4.  The flywheel marking is very clear on my car but I think Ian struggled to find his so that may be a problem.  If you can’t find the flywheel mark, simply set the ignition at TDC to start with then ” tweak” it by ear once it is running.

B………

Tony Buxton
        Participant

Hi Bernie, thanks for that. As you might have guessed, this is for the front axle of my B2 Kegresse. When I put it together I gave the pin a scrape with a file to test its hardness with the idea of getting some made, it was just that I read Ian had found new C3 ones and was interested in that route. I suppose normally the pins are sacrificial to save the axle. Probably because of the action of the Kegresse (slow but rugged terrain) the wear is in the axle body rather than the pin. I would use over-size pins to take up that wear, but I have enough parts left over to start building another B2 car which might go faster and need better steering. I’m on the look-out for a right hand drive B2 steering box, too.

Regarding the timing, I will have to change the way I’m rebuilding the engine. The flywheel can fit anywhere on the crankshaft flange, although there are two small indents on the flywheel flange. There isn’t any mark to align the clutch cover to the flywheel, but logically aligning it as close to journals 1 and 4 gives a few degrees before TDC. The cover has a line with A on one side and LL on the other, I didn’t think to run the letters together, d’oh. So I’ll wait until the block and valves are fitted before putting the unmarked timing cogs together. What fun, as comedians say, it’s all in the timing.

Best wishes,  T

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.